Rocky Forest River Run offers 1.5 – 6 hour Trips
All rentals include: the vessel (kayak, canoe or tube), life vests, and paddle for boats, along with the shuttle upstream. Trip times depend on paddling styles, vessel & current water level. Shuttle Only (those with their own vessel) include shuttle upstream. Due to 2020 restrictions, we will try to fit in shuttles with renting customers, but trips may fill up quicker due to social distancing limits.
The favorite trip at RFRR is our short trip [Trip 1], which is about 2 hours. It is perfect for tubes and novice or beginner kayakers. We are just a few miles downstream from Elkin, perfect for a short relaxing river journey and close to other things like hiking, biking, vineyards and breweries or just grabbing a meal to make a day of it. Our long trip [Trip 4] takes about half a day (approx 4-5 hrs). We have a nice dock on the river for our customers to exit kayaks and tubes. This makes getting out of the river much, much easier!
River levels in the Elkin area on the Yadkin are normally good. We always have water, when other rivers don’t. The link below to the Elkin gauge is set an an area that is normally shallow and does not represent river levels in all areas. Normal depths range from 1.5 – 6+ ft depending on rain and season. River Level Gauge Link upstream, shallow depth range
- RFRR is open Thursday and Friday afternoons, and all day Saturday and Sunday. Thursday afternoons are available by pre-scheduled appointment only during June, July & August.
- ALL Rocky Forest River Run trips are SELF GUIDED, unless the customer specifically requests someone guide their trip in advance.
- Customers must arrive at least 20 minutes early to complete check-in and be fitted for your rental equipment. Folks with their own boats using the Shuttle service, need to arrive 25 min early to load your equipment on our trailer and complete the shuttle release form. All folks will park at our bottom riverside this season.
- Paddle at your leisure, but ALL boaters must return no later than 5:30pm Sat & Sun, 7:00 pm on Friday and 20 min prior to sunset when participating in a twilight run, to avoid a late return fee.
- Each trip rental includes: kayak, tube or canoe with life vest and paddle or oar(s) & the shuttle upstream.
- It is the responsibility of the customer to ensure all parties their group wear their life vest while on the river. Children ages 12 and under are required to wear life vests at all times while on waterways, per North Carolina law.
- For safety and liability children under the age of five (5) years old cannot be allowed in rental equipment. Thank you for understanding our concern for your and your child’s well being.
- We do NOT shutte other folks tubes or other inflatables.
- We cannot allow pets in our van due to cloth seats and allergies…sorry.
|Trip Examples||Approx Time||Approx Length||Start and End|
|1||1.5 – 2.5 hrs||2.8 m||Crater Park to RFRR|
|4||4.25 – 5.5 hr||9 m||Ronda to RFRR|
Cancellation Policy: All RFRR trips are rain or shine! A cancellation or no show on date of the reservations, will result in full rental fee. Cancellations will not be taken via e-mail. Customers must call to cancel at least 5 days prior to trip date to receive a 95% refund; within 48 hours prior to trip date for a 90% refund, late cancellations received the night prior to date of trip will receive a 75% refund. RFRR will work with you to reschedule your trip or issue a credit voucher within 24 hours due to inclement weather (storming or heavy rains). No refunds due to rain while you are on the river, or for no shows on day of trip. Any amount refunded are less processing fees charged to RFRR. COVID – if sick, having symptoms or have been exposed, call immediately to receive full refund.5